Hardwood floors are very easy to clean and maintain. With regular polishing and waxing, these floors can be kept as good and sparkling as new. However, from choosing the right kind of wax and right water-based finishes, there are some factors which need to be considered while maintaining hardwood floors. Here are some aspects that you need to keep in mind if you want to know how to clean old hardwood floors.
Image Source: hardwoodflooringusa
Here are the steps involved in cleaning your hardwood floors to make them look like-new:
1.Clear the room: remove the furniture, carpets and other things
2.Make necessary repairs: See what needs a touch up –exposing nail heads, gaping plug holes and deep scratches
3.Clean the floor: Remove any existing contaminants from the floor including dust, grease, grime, stains from floor polish or wax
4.Wipe the floor: Gently wipe the floor with a soft cloth using a hardwood floor cleaner
5.Let it dry: Leave the floor to dry and don’t be in a hurry
6.Vacuum clean: Clean the floor once again using the soft brush as an attachment on the vacuum cleaner. Do not mop or sweep as it pushes any dirt again into the gaps
7.Apply finish: Use finishes strictly according to the instructions given by the manufacturers.
Once the floor is dry, walk on the floor wearing socks but be careful not to wear any footwear for an additional day. Don’t allow kids and pets for an additional day if possible as particles from these cleaning chemicals can harm them. Again, wait for a day or two before bring in the rugs and your furniture so that the wax and polish soaks well into the floor and makes it more durable to daily wear and tear.
After you have meticulously cleaned your hardwood floors, the next important thing that decides their shine and sturdiness is maintain them properly. Here are a few simple ideas to keep your floors looking as new.
- Use soft brush on your cleaner every time you clean the floor to clear dirt and dust.
- Place mats and rugs at all entrances leading to the room to prevent the dust from building up in the room
- Remove your mats, rugs and carpets periodically if your room attracts more sunlight as this could permanently fade the color of your hardwood floor and make them look uneven and unsightly.
- Avoid water as much as possible for your regular cleaning as moisture should never come in contact with wooden flooring.
- Any spills on the floor should be wiped off immediately with a mild floor cleaner. Avoid any cleaning fluids with high concentration as they may stain the wood.
Together with these tips, talk with the hardwood floor installer or manufacturer to know everything about how these floors should be cleaned and maintained. Hardwood floors are a costly affair and every care should be taken to keep them as they should be to also keep your home more appealing to you and your guests.